I am quite into watercolor at the moment. Specifically, the no line watercolor technique. (You can also check out the video on tutorial on No Line Watercoloring a Scene) When I received the brand new stamp set “Make a Wish” from Two Paper Divas I really wanted to watercolor the candle in the set. However, I wanted that one little candle to fill up my card front and make it the center of attention. Luckily, the line style of the stamp made this very easy to do. So today I have a video tutorial to share with you on literally stretching your stamps and making them larger than they truly are. This technique is a lot of fun to play with and not only stretches your stamps in size but also in uses!!
Here is the video!!
I started with a piece of watercolor paper that was the size of an A2 card (4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″). I used my MISTI for the stamping on this card. This tool is not necessary for this technique, however, it makes the stamping A LOT easer in the long run. I chose four colors of Distress Inks for the candles and used three colors for the flame. I started by placing my candle along the left side of the paper and inking up the bottom with Peacock Feathers Distress Inks and the flame with my three colors of ink for the flame. When inking the bottom portion of the candle I made sure to not get any ink along the bottom line that closes off the candle. I stamped the image and then moved my paper up in the MISTI tool. I then made sure to clean my stamp VERY well. I then inked up only the center of the bottom portion of the candle again with Peacock Feathers and stamped down. I kept repeating this process until I had the candle the length of the entire paper.
I repeated this process for all four candles and made sure to stagger then i descending heights. I also want to say that in order to get the spacing right I first stamped the far left candle, then the far right and finally filled in the two in the middle.
In order to color in the candles I simply used the same Distress Inks to watercolor the candles the same colors they were stamped in. I made sure to carefully trace over my stamping lines with my brush so the water would break down the ink and the lines would “disappear” and blend with the water and watercolor.
I set my watercolor panel aside to air dry and moved on to my sentiment. I cut two banners using the partial die cutting technique, one from black the other from vellum. I then treated the black cardstock banner with my embossing bag, stamped the “Make a Wish” sentiment in Versamark ink and covered it white embossing powder. I brushed off any stray powder with a small paint brush and then heat set with my heat gun.
I attached my watercolor panel to an A2 white top folding cardbase with double sided adhesive, and also used the same adhesive to adhere the black banner on top of the vellum banner. Before attaching my banners to the card front with foam adhesive I put down a messy nest of black thread. I didn’t used any adhesive as the foam from the banners, that I placed on top of the thread, will hold it in place.
To finish off the card I scattered some sequins across the card adhering them with glossy accents.
I hope you will pull out some of your stamps and start stretching them as well. It really just gives them a completely new look. Also, this technique is not synonymous with the no line watercolor technique. You can stamp with any ink you like and color in your images with your favorite medium! So have fun playing around with your stamps and stretching them! Don’t forget to check out the supply list below!
Thanks for looking! Happy crafting!