There are not many times that I need to mask off my watercolor scenes. However, today I really wanted to add a full wash of color behind my images and in order to do that, I needed to either mask off my images or die cut/fussy my images and overlay them on top of the wash. While there are moments I want to die cut my images and add that extra bit of dimension, today I wanted a flat scene so I needed to do a bit of masking. Make sure to watch the video below to see exactly how I made this fun, interactive birthday card with a masked watercolor scene!
I first used the largest rectangle die in the “Crazy Stitched Frames” Die Set from Craftin’ Desert Divas and my Big Shot to die cut the frame from watercolor paper. Then, I pulled out my MISTI, waterproof black dye ink and the Altenew “Congrats!” stamp set and starting building/stamping out my scene. I stamped by stamping three separate “bodies” for the air dances and then gave them each a base, eyes, and a mouth.
With each of little air dancers assembled, I needed to mask them off so I could do a blue wash behind them. I used liquid frisket for this. Using a small, cheap brush I applied a layer of the liquid frisket over each image, making sure to get the liquid up to the edges of the stamped images. After each image was covered with the liquid, I sat the panel aside to dry. The liquid frisket will go on white in color and when it is dry it will be clear. Once it is dry, I put on a wash of blue around the images with my Sakura watercolors and then sat the paper aside to dry again. When the watercolor was dry, I used an adhesive eraser to remove the masking fluid and then proceeded to watercolor the images with the same watercolor set I used for the wash.
To finish this card off I added tiny google eyes to each air dancer and stamped the sentiment “I just can’t contain myself…” on the panel with Versafine Onyx Black Ink and heat embossed in clear. I adhered the panel on a black A2 side folding card base with fun foam and double sided adhesive. Because I used a black card base I inserted a piece of white card stock inside that I had stamped the air dancers onto, along with the sentiments “Hooray” & “Let’s Celebrate”. I used double sided adhesive to adhere this inside the card to finish it off!
This stamp set is so incredibly fun! I can’t wait to use it again, and I think I liked my layout inside the card I may use it for the front of another card coming up! Like I said above, I honestly don’t often need to do a lot of masking with my watercolors, however, that little bottle of liquid frisket is going to be a life saver whenever I do need it! When masking watercolor, you don’t have a lot of options, you can’t use papers, rubber cement doesn’t always work for me, and painter’s tape often doesn’t produce clean lines when I use it. I have to say this little bottle is quite amazing and does it’s job well!
If you are interested in any of the supplies I used on today’s card, you can find them all linked below! (Affiliate links may be used at no additional cost to you.) Thank you so much for stopping by today! Happy Crafting!!